3 Lessons Learned in 2018

December 27, 2018 in Lifestyle - 9 Comments - 3 min read

3 Lessons Learned in 2018

December 27, 2018 in Lifestyle - 9 Comments - 3 min read

Because it wouldn’t be the end of the year without a few takeaway points.

The year is nearly over and hopefully its been a year of growth and happiness for us all. It is essential to reflect on each year to be able to keep building a lifestyle you love.

One trait, I’m particularly pleased with is learning to be more open this year. So in keeping with that I wanted to share three things i’ve learnt this year.

Caring for yourself makes a world of difference to your daily life

So I have a confession and one I’m not proud of. I have never had a religous or strict daily skincare routine. It’s always been a few fad products here and there.

In the back of my mind, I’ve always felt self conscious of my appearance for breakouts to patches of dry skin. I also lived under the illusion that skincare was expensive and too timely for me to really get into. Reflecting on this now, I realise the only issue was my attitude.

Early this year, I decided I had to get my sh*t together regarding my skin and also my self esteem. I adopted two skincare routines. Morning and Night. I set reminders on my phone, so I would continue to adopt some routine.

It worked, as the weeks, months went by, I found my skin looking healthier, having fewer breakouts and I felt a little more confident. While I haven’t quite got everything together in my routine (there’s still a few products I could replace and evolve with as a learn more about my skin) BUT I have found my favourite shampoo for giving my hair a perfect little lift!

I’m pleased how giving myself 10 minutes each morning and night, has made the world of difference to my daily life. I feel more confident and that counts for something.

Side note:  As I’ve learnt more and more about my skin, I’ve come to realise I tend to have naturally quite oily skin – so if you have any products to recommend, drop them in the comments below!

“Being Busy” isn’t always healthy

I went into 2018 with a certain attitude and almost a need to feel busy. I felt, then that was the only way to look and feel successful.

However, I soon realised that the trend of being busy was super unhealthy. I used to get up, head to work and start to list a billion things I needed to do for when I got home. Some, house stuff, personal – I even used to try and schedule downtime. Looking back it all seems a little crazy.

2018 Lesson learned: I soon realised that being busy or even just trying to force the idea of it and productiveness was not okay. Consider lesson learned. There’s a difference between being productive and just trying to fill time. If you end up having gaps of time, the trick is to just learn to embrace them.

Life is too short not to not be honest

Another confession. I spent a lot of 2018 just keeping quiet and nonchalontly nodding to someone. Even if I didn’t quite agree with what was being said.

Until I saw someone continuously state an incredibly entitled opinion over and over again. The first time, I was like “they don’t know any better”. I disregarded it. Until it cropped up, again and again. I soon realised actually this opinion is continuously harmful, so why not challenge them on it? (in a completely dignified and friendly way might I add).

All of my fears about voicing my own opinion, completely went away. I felt a rush of confidence at being able to calmly talk about my views in contrast to theirs.

2018 Lesson learned: Speaking about what you feel and believe in is important – no matter how daunting it can feel at the time. Rest assured, I’ll be continuing to voice my thoughts well into 2019.

What I hope for 2019

In all honesty, I think I spent a lot of 2018 slightly stuck in the same spot mentally, Not really growing or moving forward. So I’m super hopeful that I can adapt in 2019 and continue to learn and grow.

What did you learn this year?

• Erin December 29, 2018 at 11:43 pm

I love this so much! And completely agree with every one. Hope you have an incredible 2019 lovely!

Erin || MakeErinOver

• Molly (@MollyyRees) December 30, 2018 at 12:32 pm

Moz, I loved this post! Really inspiring and has definitely made me reflect on 2018. Here’s to a wonderful 2018, happy new year gal! Xx

• Lauren December 30, 2018 at 12:32 pm

I think those are 3 really good things to learn in a year, and I hope that 2019 helps you to make positive changes. Also I have combination skin, I find that using a water-based moisturiser helps to reduce the oil on my forehead. I bought a kiehls moisturiser (£24 so a bit steep) and my skin has felt better. I want to see if there’s a slightly cheaper alternative when I run out!

Lauren 🙂 x

• Lady Writes (@LadyWrites_Blog) January 1, 2019 at 9:48 am

Self Care is such an important one because no-one else can look after you x

• Jenny in Neverland January 1, 2019 at 10:49 am

The latter part of last year made me REALLY realise the whole “busy 24/7 isn’t healthy” thing. I was spending all day, every day working through a to-do list and not giving myself any downtime and by mid December I just cracked and didn’t have any motivation to do anything!

• A-mistletoe🤶 (@acurvyvegan) January 1, 2019 at 4:35 pm

I know what you mean my lovely about being busy 24/7 it’s definitely something I’m working on for this year!

Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

• Boxnip January 2, 2019 at 5:27 pm

It’s like both of these quotes, which I love:

“So plant your own gardens and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.”

“Stop planting flowers in peoples yards who aren’t going to water them.”

The first one I relate to self-care and looking after oneself and the second I relate to cutting toxic people out or people who bring nothing to your life but will constantly take from you.

Sarah 🌺 || Boxnip

• Sarah January 2, 2019 at 5:50 pm

It’s so important to take time and look after yourself xx

• Mel January 3, 2019 at 7:15 am

Some great points here lovely.
    Really nodding my head along to some of them.

• ✨ After a tricky start to the week (had an intense migraine 🥵yesterday) I decided to take it easy tonight and just have a chilled evening, 💁🏼‍♀️with a long bath, 🛁long evening skincare routine and a lil bit of Netflix, perfect! 💖
#skinfluencer #gifted @dermalogicauk
    • ✨ "Easy like Sunday mornninggg", 😻 I snapped awake super early this morning ☀️ with a need to plan some of the year in my upcoming planner 🤭(even though it doesn't start until August booo😭) You could say I'm a little bit of an organisation queen... Overprepared? definitely! 💖
    • 🙌🏻 Kicking off the weekend by finishing this FABULOUS book, its a sequel to "Oh My God, What a Complete Aisling", and I cannot tell you how much I've loved following this story. 💖Rumour has it, this might, just MIGHT be made in to a film 🎬but I really do recommend reading this for yourself📖 - such a good comedy too! 🎊⠀
⠀
My next reading challenge for this month is @bethsbookclub book! I may have been delaying it cause I know its gonna make me cry... 😭⠀
⠀
➡️ P.S @clashingtime both books are ready for you to borrow whenever now! 👌🏼⠀
⠀
Have a beautiful weekend everyone!🎉
    • Nothing makes me feel a FRIYAY 🎉 more than walking through my door, whipping my makeup & work clothes off, 💁🏼‍♀️shoving my cosy PJ's on with a divine facemask to follow. 🧖🏼‍♀️Just hand me a tea & pop on a movie🎬 to kick this evening into full swing! 🎊⠀
⠀
➡️ P.S I am aware I mention face masks a lot but I am literally on a mission to save my skin and get it all healthy and glowy. Got any tips? SHARE PLS! ⬇️💖
    • ✨Whats your favourite powder foundation right now? 🤔 I'm so indecisive but my current favourite is this @NyxCosmetics! 💁🏼‍♀️However, I'm looking to build up a stash of favourites to flip between, (a girl has gotta have choices right?) 🤭 So let me know in the comments below! 💖⬇️
    • ✨ "Be brave enough to be bad at something new," 💪🏼 Recently I've felt a little too comfy in my comfort zone. 🤭 So I've been looking at ways to push myself professionally & personally.. 💪🏼 Anyone ever got that feeling? 🤷🏼‍♀️