3 Lessons Learned in 2018

December 27, 2018 in Lifestyle - 9 Comments - 3 min read

Because it wouldn’t be the end of the year without a few takeaway points.

The year is nearly over and hopefully its been a year of growth and happiness for us all. It is essential to reflect on each year to be able to keep building a lifestyle you love.

One trait, I’m particularly pleased with is learning to be more open this year. So in keeping with that I wanted to share three things i’ve learnt this year.

Caring for yourself makes a world of difference to your daily life

So I have a confession and one I’m not proud of. I have never had a religous or strict daily skincare routine. It’s always been a few fad products here and there.

In the back of my mind, I’ve always felt self conscious of my appearance for breakouts to patches of dry skin. I also lived under the illusion that skincare was expensive and too timely for me to really get into. Reflecting on this now, I realise the only issue was my attitude.

Early this year, I decided I had to get my sh*t together regarding my skin and also my self esteem. I adopted two skincare routines. Morning and Night. I set reminders on my phone, so I would continue to adopt some routine.

It worked, as the weeks, months went by, I found my skin looking healthier, having fewer breakouts and I felt a little more confident. While I haven’t quite got everything together in my routine (there’s still a few products I could replace and evolve with as a learn more about my skin) BUT I have found my favourite shampoo for giving my hair a perfect little lift!

I’m pleased how giving myself 10 minutes each morning and night, has made the world of difference to my daily life. I feel more confident and that counts for something.

Side note:  As I’ve learnt more and more about my skin, I’ve come to realise I tend to have naturally quite oily skin – so if you have any products to recommend, drop them in the comments below!

“Being Busy” isn’t always healthy

I went into 2018 with a certain attitude and almost a need to feel busy. I felt, then that was the only way to look and feel successful.

However, I soon realised that the trend of being busy was super unhealthy. I used to get up, head to work and start to list a billion things I needed to do for when I got home. Some, house stuff, personal – I even used to try and schedule downtime. Looking back it all seems a little crazy.

2018 Lesson learned: I soon realised that being busy or even just trying to force the idea of it and productiveness was not okay. Consider lesson learned. There’s a difference between being productive and just trying to fill time. If you end up having gaps of time, the trick is to just learn to embrace them.

Life is too short not to not be honest

Another confession. I spent a lot of 2018 just keeping quiet and nonchalontly nodding to someone. Even if I didn’t quite agree with what was being said.

Until I saw someone continuously state an incredibly entitled opinion over and over again. The first time, I was like “they don’t know any better”. I disregarded it. Until it cropped up, again and again. I soon realised actually this opinion is continuously harmful, so why not challenge them on it? (in a completely dignified and friendly way might I add).

All of my fears about voicing my own opinion, completely went away. I felt a rush of confidence at being able to calmly talk about my views in contrast to theirs.

2018 Lesson learned: Speaking about what you feel and believe in is important – no matter how daunting it can feel at the time. Rest assured, I’ll be continuing to voice my thoughts well into 2019.

What I hope for 2019

In all honesty, I think I spent a lot of 2018 slightly stuck in the same spot mentally, Not really growing or moving forward. So I’m super hopeful that I can adapt in 2019 and continue to learn and grow.

What did you learn this year?

• Erin December 29, 2018 at 11:43 pm

I love this so much! And completely agree with every one. Hope you have an incredible 2019 lovely!

Erin || MakeErinOver

• Molly (@MollyyRees) December 30, 2018 at 12:32 pm

Moz, I loved this post! Really inspiring and has definitely made me reflect on 2018. Here’s to a wonderful 2018, happy new year gal! Xx

• Lauren December 30, 2018 at 12:32 pm

I think those are 3 really good things to learn in a year, and I hope that 2019 helps you to make positive changes. Also I have combination skin, I find that using a water-based moisturiser helps to reduce the oil on my forehead. I bought a kiehls moisturiser (£24 so a bit steep) and my skin has felt better. I want to see if there’s a slightly cheaper alternative when I run out!

Lauren 🙂 x

• Lady Writes (@LadyWrites_Blog) January 1, 2019 at 9:48 am

Self Care is such an important one because no-one else can look after you x

• Jenny in Neverland January 1, 2019 at 10:49 am

The latter part of last year made me REALLY realise the whole “busy 24/7 isn’t healthy” thing. I was spending all day, every day working through a to-do list and not giving myself any downtime and by mid December I just cracked and didn’t have any motivation to do anything!

• A-mistletoe🤶 (@acurvyvegan) January 1, 2019 at 4:35 pm

I know what you mean my lovely about being busy 24/7 it’s definitely something I’m working on for this year!

Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

• Boxnip January 2, 2019 at 5:27 pm

It’s like both of these quotes, which I love:

“So plant your own gardens and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.”

“Stop planting flowers in peoples yards who aren’t going to water them.”

The first one I relate to self-care and looking after oneself and the second I relate to cutting toxic people out or people who bring nothing to your life but will constantly take from you.

Sarah 🌺 || Boxnip

• Sarah January 2, 2019 at 5:50 pm

It’s so important to take time and look after yourself xx

• Mel January 3, 2019 at 7:15 am

Some great points here lovely.
    Really nodding my head along to some of them.

• 💫 Well, it’s my second day of working from home for the foreseeable future. I’ve worked from home quite a bit anyway with my job but doing it long term is going to be quite a shift. 🎉However, it is something we can & must do if able. So how am I setting myself up? 🥰I’m trying to keep as much of a schedule going as possible when it comes to work. I’m also working on creating a barrier between my home environment & work environment, it’s important to not let it all merge into one. 🙏🏻 I’ll be sharing everything through my stories and blog soon. Remember, we are all in this together! My DM’s are always open if anyone needs a chat. 👌🏼💖
    • ✨ A little throwback snap from one of my new favourite hotspots in Cambridge, wishing this had been my breakfast this morning. 🍳 I obviously won’t be cooking anything as fabulous while I’m working from home, but one can dream right?! 💖💫
    • 💫 LIVING LIFE IN THE SLOW LANE. ✨ We’ve not really ventured out the house much this weekend except for the one Tesco shop. (Not a fun experience) Although the UK isn’t on a lockdown yet, we are prepping for it and limiting where we go. Ive really been enjoying the #staythefuckhome & defo recommend you give it a scroll. Stay safe, stay well & stay home (if you can) 🥰♥️
    • ✨ With all the noise from the news & a heavy work load, I’ve been finding it difficult to get a proper good sleep 💤 this week. I’m sure some of you are just the same. It’s a crazy, unknown time and difficult to just switch off from that anxious feeling. Luckily I’ve found a little  bedtime spray, a good book 📚 and night time moisturiser can help calm me down a little. While it obviously doesn’t magically solve everything, it does help me. 💫 So, I encourage you all to do the little things that make you feel just that little bit better during this time.♥️
    • Happy Sunday! 💫 oh my goodness, it’s been a hella of a busy time of late. Over the last few weeks, works been full on & I somehow managed to squeeze in a driving test along the way (which I passed 🎉) AND as a result, I’ve had a very exciting weekend shopping for my first car, feeling very happy & lucky. 😌Today I think I’m just gonna nest at home and enjoy the art of doing nothing ✨
    • 💫 Going into today with this as my mantra.👌🏼 Its no secret that I’m currently finding myself swamped at work! 😩So wishing you a peaceful & smooth working week ✨💖