Oh I love Instagram
2017. Instagram was not my favourite platform. I have had an account since they very beginning and hated having everything on there. The images from five years ago didn’t fit with who I was now. It didn’t fit with what I wanted to put out there. So, late 2017 I decided to delete everything on my account and just start again. A fresh canvas.
Turns out, it was the perfect remedy. I was able to sit back and think about what visual content I really want on my Instagram. Being able to plan was so cathartic and just like that, my love for Instagram was back!
When I returned to producing content for my channel, I had new ways, tricks and tips to help me through. Now four months later, I realise that I could not produce the content that I LOVE without the assistance of some great apps. In fact I use these apps across a lot of my digital content. In this post I want to share them all with you and hopefully you can apply these to your instagram too!
A Color Story
The ultimate photo editor. A color story (American spelling) is the very best thing for creating perfect looking photos, enhancing filters and adding incredible photo effects. The editing effects are incredible, allowing me to curve different colours, saturation and vibrance. Since editing my first photo for instagram I have never gone back. See below, to see a before and after.
FYI. A Color Story offers in app purchases for different filter sets. For the quality the these bring, I really don’t think that they are very expensive. I have honestly purchased almost every one excluding two. I’ve also used and experiment with every filter to gain an understanding of what type of image works best with each set.
Have a look at this edit below!
I recommend these filter sets:
- FAWN – This filter set is just so perfect for autumn photos. Released last year, its a mix of warm and gentle tones across 11 filters, ‘tweed’ is perfect for landscape shots.
- FLASHES OF DELIGHT – I shot a lot inside. This set is perfect for brightening indoor shots and adding soft tones. I shot a lot of indoor content for instagram so a bunch of these filters work so well, depending on what mood I want the photo to represent.
- WEEKEND – Perfect for when you want to make your Instagram look a little bolder. I think you can apply these to lifestyle, city and even portrait shots.
I recommend these effects sets:
- GLOW – This set is magic. Have you ever taken a perfect photo but just wanted to give it that fantasy edge? Glow is perfect for that. It dramatically makes the image look softer. ALSO what I love with effects is that you can drag and move them around to suit the photo.
- CONFETTI – This effect set is just so cute. Confetti is perfect for making your photos look a little more whimsical. There’s a mix of classic and funny confetti sets in there.
- SKIES OVER – Replace the sky! So living in England, you can image that we don’t get amazing skies (once a month tops) so this effect filter can make any dull day/evening/night look super dreamy for the gram.
A Design Kit
Funnily enough this is created by the same people who made A Color Story. A design kit, is basically a mini graphic design kit which is perfect for social media graphics, partially instagram stories and the grid. Only recently released, A design kit has become a crucial toll to create visual strategies with my content. Again, you do have to pay for this app (I think its only £2.99) but I promise its worth every penny for the beautiful effects you can create.
Within the app you get to play around with:
- design brushes
- backgrounds (which you can also manipulate for texts etc)
- You can also integrate this app with A Color story. They work together perfectly.
Have a look at what I’ve been using the app for so far (mainly instastories content)
Just note: A Design Kit is only in its first year. Although I feel the app already offers a lot of content, I predict that more features will be added and its will grow to be as big as its sister app. I for one, can’t wait for more font and features.
Even with A Color Story, I find it crucial to have an app which is almost like a second opinion for editing photos in Instagram and is there anything better than Lightroom? I thought the Lightroom mobile app wouldn’t be as good as the desktop but actually the mobile offers some expert features and I think my editing skills have really improved on the job.
Lightroom enables me to control exposure, highlights, contrast and shadows before I even think about applying a filter set. The auto feature, has become a surprising tool. Updated last year, it analyses my photo and compares it to 1000’s of others in its catalog and uses that as a guide.
Even if I chose not to go with what auto says, its a great starting point creatively. All to make the photos look better. The presents are also such a good indicator of where you want your photo to go. Do you want black & white? Warm tones? Lightroom has you covered.
Over to you
So there you have it. Three important game changer apps to up your Instagram. Despite the instagram algorithm being tricky these apps really helped me rediscover my love for editing and creating images. Do you use these apps for editing? Or do you have any new ones I should investigate? Comment below and let me know!
May your tea be full and your Insta game on top!