Why its good to take a break from blogging

October 29, 2017 in Lifestyle - 6 Comments - 3 min read

Why its good to take a break from blogging

October 29, 2017 in Lifestyle - 6 Comments - 3 min read

Feeling overwhelmed? Do you have a billion social media posts to schedule, graphics to design and blog posts to write. Constantly feel as though you’re not good enough, in comparison to your blogging peers?

Take a break. Trust me.

I go through phrases where I get that feeling, and theres a sudden build up inside of me thats like – nope cannot do this write. A massive creative block comes over me and I have to check out of the online blogging/marketing bubble for just a few days.

But thats okay.

Despite what some people might think, theres nothing wrong with completely dispearring for a few days. There’s also nothing wrong with not giving a reason for it either. Even though I love social media and love everything positive it is capable of, if I’m not feeling it, then I’m taking a break for a bit and enjoying every moment.

My latest two week mini social break was triggered when I saw this comment from a blogger.

omg whats the point of Instagram right now!! Im only getting like 43 likes

NOTE: I know very well that you shouldn’t compare yourself with other bloggers and creatives. Everyone is a different stage and different chapter of their creative journey.

HOWEVER, seeing this comment and many like it over the last few months, just left me deflated. 40-50 likes is my average reach for instagram. I’m really not one for monitoring hoe each post does, I care more that image on the grid has a purpose and isn’t a space filler. When I get likes around 50, I usually feel pretty chuffed, that those 50 or so people have taken the time to like my image. In my eyes, their sending a little message back, they like the content I’m putting out. So usually I’m a happy little larry.

BUT, this comment suddenly made me inferior, like I’d been really stupid to think that what I was doing was okay. Like, I shouldn’t be so chuffed with such a low number and that your post is nothing if its not 500 plus. So I sat back and just switched of for a little bit. It’s amazing how much a small comment like that can be such a confidence knock. The comment wasn’t aimed at me yet somehow I felt personally attacked.

And this is all over a social media platform? No thank-you I’m out.

So I took a digital detox (something I highly recommend, especially if you work in digital marketing) I took time to think why I care so much about this free platform and how I could make it fun again for myself. I snapped photos over the last couple of weeks had fun editing them and planning how they would be presented, and I think I found some depth and fun to my own channel again.

I think the message from my experience is not to get to wrapped out if someone is performing on a higher scale or even taking a completely different attitude to you. Allow them to do what they feel works while you do you. But also, enough negativity, I doubt that comment benefited anyone, all it did was just spread negative vibes onto a public setting with no resolution.

We’re better than that.

Don’t you think?

• stcykaryn October 29, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Yess, sometimes it’s so good to just force yourself to pause for a bit. It will probably make your future posts that much better too. Thanks for the reminder! 🙂

• Alice October 29, 2017 at 7:15 pm

This is SO TRUE! #LUSHTOBER has absolutely exhausted me, I’m ready for a little break!

Alice | Dainty Alice

• Molly Rees October 29, 2017 at 7:20 pm

I thought you’d disappeared! A digital detox is such a good idea though, I think sometimes we all need to take time out, just chill out, not get caught up in drama and get real life stuff done!

Loved this post Mollie, also fab blog layout. CANNOT BELIEVE I’VE NOT SEEN IT BEFORE. I’m not even a good half of M and M.

XOXO Molly

• Thirzah October 29, 2017 at 7:28 pm

You’re so right! I love blogging and writing up recipe posts but sometimes I can get so many ideas at once then I don’t know where to start! A break and some planning seems to do the trick. We all need a break every now and then!!
    Thirzah – Cakey Goodness xoxo

• Sylvia Mar October 29, 2017 at 9:48 pm

I know very well that you shouldn’t compare yourself with other bloggers and creatives. Everyone is a different stage and different chapter of their creative journey. absolutely agree with you. We should not compare with others because everybody posts the things they love and have passion about. It is also true that we listen to our sixth sense and write with desire. You never know where is the next time when the muse will attack you 🙂 thank you for this lovely article.

• SHE IN THE KNOW (@Sheintheknow) January 5, 2018 at 4:22 pm

I’m quite bad for taking sporadic breaks from blogging, but sometimes you have to step away to refresh yourself and to get inspiration. x

• ✨ New week, new start right? Well, today it actually applies as its our first day in the new office at work. 🎉IT IS A BEAUTIFUL SPACE! 🤭 We have nice sofas, a new kitchen & cool collaboration areas. 💫So I guess thats my exciting news for the day! 🤷🏼‍♀️Whats yours? 💖
    • ✨ #gifted | ending my week with a lazy Sunday & a long skincare routine. 🧖🏼‍♀️ Also we watched “Always be my maybe” on @netflixuk 🎬which is HILARIOUS, you should all go watch it... like now! 💖
    • 💫 Morningggg... let me tell you right now, this week is feeling looooong. 🥴 BUT I’m working from home today which means I can have a proper little “get shit done” 💪🏼🎉sesh. So I’m going to have lots of podcasts on to keep me company 🎧 & I’ll also be downing lots of tea ☕️ in my new fave mug... isn’t it cute? 🤭💖
    • 💫 Forever wishing I was brunching at @hotnumberscoffee ☕️🥑 instead of lunching on a work day💖
    • 💫Even in the rain, ☔️the flowers are still so pretty! 🌟 I've just come back from a BRILLIANT driving lesson 🚘 after a slightly odd day. 🤭 So, I'm pretty much on a high vibe right now.💖 I was thinking about it all day and getting a little anxious but as soon as I got in the car, everything clicked. 🎉 PLUS, I just drove in Cambridge in rush hour 🚦& now I literally feel like i could do anything 😂💖
    • ✨ #gifted | Happy Monday evening everyone! 💫 The start of the week has really used up my energy today 😬 but all good things I promise! ⭐️ So I’m gonna have an early skincare  sesh with @greenpeopleuk to refresh myself! 🧖🏼‍♀️ I’m super excited to watch #loveisland, 💗🏝 although I want to be a more mindful watcher this year as the show defo doesn’t spread the best image. 🚫I’m just hoping there’s some progressive changes as the series goes on! 😬🤞🏻Are you watching this year? What do you think of it all?! 💖